I love salads. I have loved them ever since I was a kid so my mom never had to encourage me to eat them!
Preparing the dressing is almost like meditation for me, while topping the salad with seeds and flowers always leaves me with a smile.
I even enjoy washing the leaves in salty water and chopping the vegetables!
I never understood why some people just don’t like greens until I met my partner, who was very patient with me and took the time (and courage) to try my salads when they were just a bunch of leaves thrown in a bowl with some olive oil.
Thanks to him I had to improve the way I prepared them and so I came up with a few ideas that work very well, especially for those who need a little help to eat more salads.
This is my favorite one of all time, as it is a nutrient-dense meal, packed with vitamins, minerals and vegetable protein.
What I like most about this particular salad is the texture of the greens, the watery crunch of the cucumbers and carrots, and the sweetness of the beetroot, which combined give the perfect mix of flavors, textures and colors.
It can be served as a side or as a main, and is the perfect everyday raw vegan lunch.
Serves 2-4. Use as much or as little of the following ingredients as you feel. That’s the beauty of this salad.
- Romaine lettuce
- Iceberg lettuce
- Kale (any type, massaged for 2 minutes with a pinch of sea salt)
- Red cabbage
- Raw beetroot (peeled)
- Sesame seeds
- Pine nuts
- Salad dressing (See Dressings & Dips)
- Simply chop the lettuce, kale, spinach, watercress and rocket
- Place the mixed greens in a food processor and pulse a few times until finely chopped
- Pour the greens in a large salad bowl and leave to the side
- Roughly chop the red cabbage, raw beetroot, carrots, cucumber and the celery, and pulse in a food processor for a few seconds until finely diced
- Pour the mix on top of the greens and mix together
- Add toppings (like seaweed, a variety of seeds, avocado) and one of my salad dressings